Impact in Action: Our Response to COVID-19
Our team took great care in using lessons learned from our response during the 2010 Earthquake, Haiti’s Cholera Epidemic, and Hurricane Matthew to plan our response to the economic, social, and health impacts of COVID-19. As always, we are fundamentally committed to adhering to the highest standards of transparency, accountability, and good governance as we put our resources to use to support children, parents, and grandparents in Haiti.
Through YOUR generosity, we have made the following impact to-date (this post will be updated weekly):
- Distributed $10 million in on-hand medical supplies, medication, and PPE to the most vulnerable Haitians and 24 healthcare partners in southern Haiti with a focus on diabetes medications, blood pressure medications, and asthma medications.
- Executed $30,000 in cash transfers to 429 teachers in Hope for Haiti’s Education network and mobilized them to share accurate prevention strategies to stop the spread of COVID-19.
- Distributed 50,000 surgical masks we had in stock for free to healthcare partners and students in southern Haiti.
- Treated 1,412 chronic care and urgent care patients. Chronic care patients have been given two months of medication to minimize travel.
- Distributed 5,450 Sawyer Water Filtration Systems to families in southern Haiti to promote hand washing and consumption of safe drinking water.
- Held and broadcasted the second annual Economy Challenge entirely digitally due to social distancing requirements – the FIRST live-streamed pitch competition for female entrepreneurs in Haiti.
- Distributed key nutritional supplements to over 300 participants in the Nutrilite Program and conducted consultations with a pediatrician.
- Completed a food distribution in Morency with 215 students, teachers and directors. They also received training on COVID-19 and washable masks.
- Broadcasted accurate COVID-19 information to 12 radio stations in the Southern (Sud) department.
- Utilized 453 teachers and school directors as town criers to spread accurate and culturally appropriate information to community members.
- In partnership with LakouKajou, distributed digital school lessons to 453 teachers and school directors, as well as 234 parents in our 24 partner communities.
- Increased the solar energy capacity at our primary healthcare facility, the Infirmary St. Etienne, to provide reliable electricity for the refrigerator that stores medications, as well as the lights and fan.
In the near future, Hope for Haiti’s 53 Haitian staff members will continue working to accomplish the following activities with the supplies and cash we have on hand:
- Distribute 7,300 hygiene kits we have in stock for free to healthcare partners and students in southern Haiti.
- Provide 150 grants to street vendors, farmers, and female entrepreneurs totaling $13,000 in partnership with the Les Cayes Chamber of Commerce.
- Distribute an additional 550 Sawyer Water Filtration Systems to families in southern Haiti to promote hand washing and consumption of safe drinking water.
Your support for our short- and long-term response plan is still needed. We are facing an uncharted path ahead and are counting on you to stay with us on this journey. Your one-time or sustainable recurring gift will help make the following impact:
- Import and distribute $65 million in medical supplies, medication, and PPE to the most vulnerable Haitians and our 24 healthcare partners in southern Haiti with a focus on diabetes medications, blood pressure medications, and asthma medications. (2-3 Years)
- Provide SGBs (Small and Growing Businesses) in southern Haiti with $3-5 million in grants and loans to support their business activities. (3 years)
- Work with households and farmers in rural communities in southern Haiti to plant 1 million fruit-bearing trees and school gardens to improve food security and income. (2-3 years)
- Distribute 30,000 Sawyer Water Filtration Systems to families in southern Haiti to promote hand washing and consumption of safe drinking water (3 years)
- Provide $1 million in direct cash transfers and trainings to the 429 teachers in our partner school network (5 years)
Thank you very much for your unwavering support to our organization and the people of Haiti. Please be assured that despite these very challenging times, our mission, core values, and vision for Haiti will stay the same, and we will never give up on our fundamental belief in the power of hope. We look forward to working with you now and in the future to build a healthier and better world.
100% of the funds raised will be used to support the cross-categorical response and recovery activities outlined above.
To download the COVID-19 prevention graphics in Haitian Creole that we have shared on social media, please click here. Please feel free to share with your audience, but do not edit the graphic or remove our logo. These graphics contain accurate medical guidance as of the date of original publication.